Audits - How best to prepare?

Eric GEric G PQ Systems Employee
edited November 6 in Quality Discussion
Few things trigger an acute case of anxiety like an upcoming Audit. Whether its for a customer or a re-accreditation on a particular standard, an evaluation or inspection of you process can be an uncomfortable position to be in.

How have you or your company approached audits? Do you arrange pre-audit meetings to ensure all documentation and requirements have been met? Do you conduct internal audits to catch issues before the real audit? What other things have been successful in preparing for an upcoming audit?

Please share your thoughts, experiences, or questions here!

Comments

• How do you get everyone on line for an audit?  Isn't it just a quality thing is what I always hear...
  • In most companies I've worked for, we spent many anxious hours preparing for audits. During this time catching any problems and clearing them up so everything was spic and span. But the shortcoming in that activity was not a problem solving session and more of a "hide it from the auditor" mentality. In my experience, this only works for so long before something catastrophic happens. Such as someone mentioning the activity and the auditor starting to ask questions. BTW, the real danger is when an auditor sits back and listens as someone digs a hole. What I've been working towards is to be in a constant state of preparedness. This takes lots of legwork and a hard, unbiased look at the real state of the organization. So in short, I find it best to perform strong internal audits and fix the problems. The results have been successful in that most registrar corrective actions have been minor. However, the IATF is applying pressure to registrars to have an average of 4.5 findings per audit. So they are going to dig until they find something.
  • We haven't had our transition audit yet and I'm curious about your statement, "the IATF is applying pressure to registrars to have an average of 4.5 findings per audit." Can you elaborate? 
  • To skat - this was a direct quote from our registrar during IATF transition training. If they do not comply they will be subject to witness audits from the IATF until they reach a level they are satisfied with. It is an odd requirement that the registrar is having difficulty with.
    skat said:
    We haven't had our transition audit yet and I'm curious about your statement, "the IATF is applying pressure to registrars to have an average of 4.5 findings per audit." Can you elaborate? 

• Thanks, Tony. Can you share the CB company name?

• Certification Body

Which registrar (the company name) made the statement? Are you able to share which registrar made the statement?

• SRI Registrars. The statement is what I said. "the IATF is applying pressure to registrars to have an average of 4.5 findings per audit." Our auditor also expressed during our last surveillance audit that the IATF requires auditors to write nonconformances.
  • Thanks for the clarification.